CASE MANAGER/EMPLOYMENT SPECIALIST
YOUTH EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM
Temporary Position for Case Manager/Employment Specialist Youth Employment Program
Program Dates: March 1, 2020 – September 30, 2020
Employment Hours: ranging from 25-40 hours per week as directed
Responsible for all documentation of case notes, maintaining accurate and up to date files, identify and address barriers to success, making appropriate linkages and referrals for community services, facilitate goal setting, implementation follow up and follow through with coordinated services plans, advocate on behalf of participants’ in community settings. Facilitating intake and assessment process. Network and build positive relationships with area educational/training systems. Facilitate workshops for education development, college readiness and success. Work with tutors and workshop assistants to:
• Provide worksite development, oversight, job placement, scheduling of participants and address any issues that are barriers to employment. Facilitate Work Readiness Curriculum to participants, assess participants’ skills, interests and abilities and match education/employment placements, monitors and evaluate participant progress in placements, advocate and mediate any barriers or issues in regards to success.
• Participates in the interview screening process to assess the potential participants for the program; help develop the questions for interview; advises, and explains regulations, rules, policies, and procedures to participants; may determine participant eligibility for services; apprises participants obligations under program participation; ensures that applications and other forms are completed accurately and thoroughly.
• Assesses participant’s education, work experience, skills, abilities, qualifications, and job interest; assesses participant readiness for job referral, classroom training, on-the-job training, and/or support services; attempts to match participants with available employment, training, or other opportunities/services.
• Identifies problems/barriers that hinder program participation and retention, and employability; assists participants in resolving and mitigating barriers to these areas by identifying the need for other services and benefits; counsels participants regarding recommended solutions and suggested supportive services.
• Analyzes information obtained from interviews, tests, and other sources to develop short- and long-term participant goals; develops and implements individual employment plans; ensures participant conformance with program rules and regulations, department policies, and employment plans
• Contacts public and private employers in order to develop on-the-job training and/or direct job placement sites for participants; maintains cooperative relationships with employers, and support service and community resource agencies; identifies appropriate job placement opportunities for participants; maintains an awareness of local job market and opportunities to assist in providing guidance to participants; may arrange for employment interviews, attend job fairs, conduct special workshops, presentations, group orientations, or perform other training and outreach activities.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred, or two (2) years of relevant work experience.
• Strong relationship-building skills, experience working with diverse populations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and relationship building skills.
1. Ability to work effectively with persons of all ages and diverse backgrounds, skills and abilities
2. Expertise in program development for at risk youth
3. Expertise at building relationships with other providers, funders and businesses
4. Must be able to use Microsoft Office
This job description is intended to identify and list the responsibilities, duties and qualifications for the position. It cannot be considered all-inclusive, however, as changing organizational circumstances can result in changes to some of those responsibilities, duties and qualifications. Further, every task supporting the functioning of the position may not be listed or not listed in detail.
The Buffalo Urban League has a commitment to equal opportunity employment by affirming the value of diversity and by promoting an environment free from discrimination.
Submit resume and cover letter to Ivy Diggs-Washington,
Director of Workforce Development