FOSTER CARE CASEWORKER
Reports to: Foster Care Supervisor
I. GENERAL DUTIES:
Caseworker provides intensive case management/planning and social services to children, foster care families and to birth families.
· Master’s Degree (preferred) or Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Human Services or related Social Science.
· At least two (2) years experience in Foster Care or related Child Welfare preferred.
· Must be customer oriented with ability to work with families from a diverse population.
· Good oral and written communication skills.
· Good interpersonal communication skills and team player with a positive attitude.
· Computer skills.
· Good time management skills.
· Valid New York State Driver’s License and access to a car which is available at all times.
· Technical Proficiency - Maintain technical expertise by keeping abreast of foster care and adoption related trends through training; membership to professional organizations; networking with other professionals in the field; subscription to magazines, periodicals, etc.
· Client - Focused - Ability to work with a diverse clientele from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds; understand and be sensitive to their needs.
· Teamwork - Support teamwork and information sharing among staff for effective service delivery.
IV. SPECIFIC DUTIES:
A. Provide case management, coordination and supervision of foster children, foster families, and birth families to ensure that their needs are met through:
counseling on an individual and/or group basis as needed
monthly face to face contacts with foster children and foster families in the foster homes.
other contacts with children and families in their homes, office and/or at recreation sites, on a weekly, bi-weekly or regular basis if warranted.
B. Supervise foster care visits between birth parents and children.
C. Coordinate Service Plan Reviews.
D. Maintain appropriate confidential files/case records required to ensure effective program operation, i.e.,
record/update accurate progress notes within the stipulated time frame.
case planning for foster children, foster families and birth parents
complete program reports.
E. Provide immediate support services to children returning home from foster care by linking them with Preventive Services and other service providers as needed.
F. Caseworker must be on-call to address/meet the needs of clients and other programmatic needs.
G. Provide crisis intervention i.e. Respite Services to the foster parents and/or foster children.
H. Attend all court appearances and prepare the necessary court paperwork and summaries by the stipulated deadlines.
Interface with other human services providers such as Foster Care and Adoption agencies, Child Protective Services, Probation, Mental Health Services, schools, community agencies etc.; provide interventive and referral services to children and families and advocate on their behalf as needed; participate in intra and inter agency conferences for effective program operation; attend meetings, workshops and training; assist in coordinating Parent Support Group Meetings and all their activities; perform other programmatic duties as needed.
This job description is intended to identify and list the responsibilities, duties and qualifications for the position. It cannot be considered all-inclusive, however, as changing organizational circumstances can result in changes to some of those responsibilities, duties and qualifications. Further, every task supporting the functioning of the position may not be listed or not listed in detail.
The Buffalo Urban League has a commitment to equal opportunity employment by affirming the value of diversity and by promoting an environment free from discrimination.
Submit resume and cover letter to: